Explore All Topics

Can I claim my foster child or adopted child as a dependent?

0 min read

0 min read

You can claim a foster child dependent or adopted child dependent if the child was placed with you by one of these:

  • An authorized placement agency
  • Judgment, decree, or other court order

You can claim an adopted child if the adoption has been legally finalized.

Adopted and foster children are treated the same as biological dependents for tax purposes.

Was this topic helpful?