Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns


Sometimes, people don’t file tax returns because they can’t pay. Other times, life happens, and they can’t get everything together in time to file. Regardless of the reason, not filing a required return is serious business for the IRS.

But there’s a way to get back in good standing: Gather all your information, research your IRS account, and file the returns. A tax pro can help you investigate which returns you need to file and how to submit them to the IRS.

“How many years back should I file?”

This is the most common question people with back tax returns ask. The answer lies in a little-known IRS policy statement.

IRS Policy Statement 5-133, Delinquent Returns – Enforcement of Filing Requirements, provides a general rule that taxpayers must file six years of back tax returns to be in good standing with the IRS. The policy also states that IRS management would have to approve any deviation from that rule.

Sometimes, IRS managers will require tax returns from even further back than six years, depending on the situation. These are the most common reasons the IRS requires returns from more than six years back:

There’s a large potential tax bill on the older returns. The most common red flags are Forms 1099-MISC, property sales, and large wages with no withholding.

There are business returns involved. The IRS will closely scrutinize business returns because the IRS knows that businesses have the largest potential for noncompliance.

A revenue officer is on the case. Delinquent-return investigations can involve local field collection personnel (called revenue officers), who perform in-depth investigations on nonfiling and collection.

Nine tips for filing back tax returns

Remember these tips when you’re filing back tax returns.

1. Confirm that the IRS is looking for only six years of returns.

Call the IRS, or your tax pro can use a dedicated hotline to confirm the unfiled years.

2. The IRS doesn’t pay old refunds.

You can only claim refunds for returns filed within three years of the due date of the return. Everything before that is lost.

3. Transcripts help.

It’s important to prepare an accurate return that matches IRS records. Trace your income history and request your wage and income transcripts from the IRS. Make sure your return reports all items on the transcript. Without this match, the IRS can question the accuracy of your return. If you made estimated tax payments that you can credit to any tax balances you owe, request your account transcripts to verify the amounts you paid.

4. There can be hefty penalties.

Years with tax balances due will have penalties, such as the failure to file and failure to pay penalties. These penalties combined can accumulate, over time, up to 47.5% of the tax bill. It’s important you prioritize this issue, to avoid potential tax evasion issues.

5. Request penalty abatement, if applicable.

Good news: With most back tax returns, you can ask the IRS not to charge you failure to file or pay penalties on balance-due returns. Use first-time abatement for the first year if you qualify. Otherwise, consider reasonable cause arguments for late filing and payment to get some relief from penalties.

6. The IRS may have filed a return for you.

The IRS usually starts this process, called a substitute for return (SFR), about three years after the due date of the return. When you file a return to replace an SFR, the IRS will closely scrutinize the replacement return and compare it to information statements on file. Because of that scrutiny, the IRS will take more time than usual to process the replacement return – more than four months in some cases.

7. Delinquent returns may need special processing.

If you have gotten a delinquent-return notice or an SFR in the past, you’ll need to file the return with specific IRS units for special processing.

8. If you owe and can’t pay, set up a payment agreement with the IRS.

Remember to get into an agreement if you can’t pay. There are several types of agreements, depending on what you need. If you don’t establish some type of payment plan with the IRS, a second wave of IRS enforcement – collection – will follow.

9. Authorize your tax pro to help.

You can sign an authorization to allow your tax pro to call the IRS to get information and transcripts for you – or you can sign an authorization to allow your tax pro to handle the entire issue with the IRS for you. Also, you or your tax pro can request a stay on enforcement activity, and follow up to ensure the IRS accepts the return.

You can get back on track

Learn exactly how to research your IRS account and file back tax returns with the IRS, or get help from a trusted IRS expert. Either way, don’t delay.

You’ll want to claim any refunds you might have before they expire, avoid penalties and interest, and fix any related tax problems so you can get back in good standing with the IRS.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Power of Attorney: It’s How Your Tax Pro Deals with the IRS For You

Learn the three main benefits of engaging a power of attorney to research your IRS account and resolve your tax problems. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.

Private: How to File Business Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn how to file your business back tax returns with the IRS and resolve any related tax issues, such as business back taxes and IRS penalties.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

Private: Five Reasons Self-Employed People Should File Back Tax Returns — Now

Learn about the consequences you may face if you are self-employed and have unfiled returns. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Don’t Pay an IRS Penalty Without Looking Into Penalty Relief

The IRS grants four types of penalty relief, but many taxpayers don't ever ask. Learn how to request penalty abatement from the IRS.

What to Do If I Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay

Can’t pay your taxes this year? You’re not alone. Learn why you should still file your return even if you can't pay from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Use First-Time Penalty Abatement

Get the facts from H&R Block about the widely available but little-known IRS penalty relief option called first-time penalty abatement.