Explore All Topics

IRS Letter 2267C – Past-Due Tax Return Requested

1 min read

1 min read

You have a past-due tax return that must be filed.

Type of Notice: Late return

Likely next step: File back tax returns

Other tax problem areas: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 2267C

  1. You should have filed a tax return for the year shown on the notice.
  2. The IRS did not receive a tax return for that year.
  3. The IRS sent you a notice requesting the past-due return.
  4. The IRS sends Letter 2267C to give you the date by which you must file the requested return. The IRS usually does not allow more than 60 days.

Notice deadline: It varies, refer to the notice

If you miss the deadline: Failure to file the requested return by the date on the notice could result in additional penalties and the IRS could file a return for you without including deductions and credits you may be entitled to have.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Was this topic helpful?