IRS Letter 2469C – Possible Refund Letter


You may have a refund due for a year in which no tax return was filed.

Type of Notice: Late return

Likely next step: File a tax return

Also see: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 2469C

  1. The IRS did not receive a tax return for the year in question.
  2. The IRS determined, based on information reported by others (employers, banks etc.), that you appear to have paid more in withholdings than would be required for the income reported.
  3. Letter 2469C was sent to notify you that you may be due a refund, provided a return is filed within three years of the original return due date.

Notice deadline: Three years from the return due date

If you miss the deadline: If you do not file a return within three years of the original return due date, you will not receive a refund for that tax year.

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Private: Five Reasons Self-Employed People Should File Back Tax Returns — Now

Learn about the consequences you may face if you are self-employed and have unfiled returns. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

It’s Been A Few Years Since I Filed A Tax Return. Should I Start Filing Again?

If you haven't filed tax returns in awhile, there are things you need to know. Learn how to address back tax returns and what you can expect when you file.

What to Do If I Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay

Can’t pay your taxes this year? You’re not alone. Learn why you should still file your return even if you can't pay from the tax experts at H&R Block.