IRS Letter 2566 – Proposed Individual Tax Assessment


The IRS has no record of receiving your tax return so they have proposed taxes due based on information they received from others.

Type of notice: Late return

Likely next step: File a return

Also see: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 2566

  1. You did not file a tax return for the year shown on the notice.
  2. The IRS received income information reported under your tax identification number from others, such as employers, financial institutions, and other payers.
  3. The IRS sent Letter 2566 to notify you that since you did not file a tax return as required, the IRS prepared one for you, using the information they have from others. This notice will include a report showing all income items and the taxes, penalties, and interest proposed. You have the right to file an original return which may reduce the amount of the proposed taxes.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss the deadline: You will lose your right file an appeal with the IRS Office of Appeals and the IRS will send you a Statutory Notice of Deficiency which gives you 90 days to file a petition with the U.S. Tax Court before the IRS records the tax liability to your tax account. However, you can still file an original tax return after the tax liability is recorded.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns

If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Private: Five Reasons Self-Employed People Should File Back Tax Returns — Now

Learn about the consequences you may face if you are self-employed and have unfiled returns. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.