IRS Letter 6001 – Advanced Premium Tax Credit Recipients Non-Filer Letter


You must file a tax return to reconcile advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit.

Type of notice: Account information or change

Likely next step: Address unfiled tax returns

Also see: IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 6001

  1. You obtained health insurance coverage from the Health Insurance Marketplace and received advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit to help you pay your monthly premium.
  2. You filed an extension of time to file your tax return.
  3. The IRS sent Letter 6001 to inform you that you need to file your tax return as soon as possible to be eligible to continue to receive advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit. If a return is not filed within 30 days, there may be a delay in receiving advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit next year. You should file a return as soon as possible. Returns filed after the end of August will involve a complicated process to avoid interruption of the advanced payments.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss this deadline: You increase the risk of an interruption in receiving advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

What to Do If I Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay

Can’t pay your taxes this year? You’re not alone. Learn why you should still file your return even if you can't pay from the tax experts at H&R Block.

What To Do If You Can’t Pay Your Taxes

Learn about the different options when you can't pay or still owe money from a past return from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns

If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.

Don’t Pay an IRS Penalty Without Looking Into Penalty Relief

The IRS grants four types of penalty relief, but many taxpayers don't ever ask. Learn how to request penalty abatement from the IRS.