IRS Notice CP01H – Identity Theft Lock


Your tax return cannot be processed because the Social Security Number (SSN) you reported for yourself or your spouse is recorded at the Social Security Administration (SSA) as belonging to a deceased taxpayer.

Type of Notice: Account information or change

Likely next step: Address tax identity theft

Also see: IRS return and account problems

Why you received IRS Notice CP01C

  1. The tax return you filed for the tax year shown on the notice contained the SSN of a person who was shown as deceased by SSA records in a prior tax year. This could be the result of identity theft or a simple keying error of your SSN (or your spouse’s SSN, if a joint return).
  2. Due to the discrepancy and potential identity theft, the IRS sent CP01H to inform you that the IRS locked the account for that SSN and will not allow the tax return to post.

Notice deadline: N/A

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

Private: How to Address Tax Identity Theft and Refund Fraud

Learn how to investigate tax identity theft, solve the problem with the IRS, and prevent tax identity theft and refund fraud going forward.

What Happens After You Report Identity Theft to the IRS

Did someone file a fraudulent return in your name? Get the facts about reporting tax identity theft to the IRS and what you can expect after you report it.

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Four Things You Should Know Before Calling the IRS

Do you need to call the IRS? Get the IRS phone number and learn what you need to know before calling from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.