IRS Notice CP128 – The IRS Applied Your Overpayment and You Still Have a Balance Due


A refund was applied to your unpaid tax balance for another year. A balance still remains.

View notice CP128 image

Type of Notice: Unpaid balance

Most common tax problem area: IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Other tax problem areas: IRS penalties

Why you received IRS Notice CP128

  1. You filed a tax return with a balance due, which remains unpaid.
  2. You filed a return for another tax year with a refund due.
  3. The IRS sent CP128 to notify you that the refund was applied to a prior year’s unpaid balance due. This notice also informs you that you still owe a balance due on a return from a prior year.

Your options to address IRS Notice CP128

  1. Make arrangements to pay
  2. Dispute the penalties
  3. Dispute the taxes you owe

Notice deadline: 21 days

If you miss the deadline: You will owe additional penalties and interest.

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

What To Do If You Can’t Pay Your Taxes

Learn about the different options when you can't pay or still owe money from a past return from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Avoid IRS Liens and Levies

Liens and levies are tools the IRS uses to collect back taxes. Learn more about each one -- and how to avoid tax liens and levies by working with the IRS.

The Top 10 Consequences of Tax Debt

Learn what to do when you can’t pay your taxes – to avoid these 10 consequences of tax debt. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

Power of Attorney: It’s How Your Tax Pro Deals with the IRS For You

Learn the three main benefits of engaging a power of attorney to research your IRS account and resolve your tax problems. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.