IRS Notice CP85B – Verify Qualifying Child for EIC


The IRS needs confirmation that you have a Qualifying Child for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

View notice CP85B image

Type of Notice: Return accuracy

Most common tax problem area: Return and Account Problems

Why you received IRS Notice CP85B

  1. You claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit with a qualifying child on your tax return.
  2. IRS records indicate the dependent you claimed might not qualify as your dependent, and therefore you may not qualify for the Earned Income Credit (EIC). You must confirm with the IRS that the child listed on the tax return is a qualifying dependent to be eligible for the tax credit.

Your options to address IRS Notice CP85B

  1. Provide the information requested
  2. Clear up an account error

Notice deadline: Not specified

If you miss the deadline: The IRS may not allow you to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Related Tax Terms

Qualifying Child

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

What to Do If Someone Claimed Your Dependent

Learn what steps to take if someone else claimed your dependent. Get the facts about how to resolve a dependent dispute from the tax experts at H&R Block.

I Received an IRS Notice, Now What?

If you received an IRS notice in the mail, don't panic - some notices may actually be good news for you. Learn more about IRS notices with H&R Block.

Can the IRS Take or Hold My Refund? Yes.

The IRS has the authority to take or hold your tax refund if they think your return isn't accurate and in other situations as well. Find out more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

When Not to File an Amended Return

Don't confuse the IRS and make your situation worse by filing an amended return when you shouldn't. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.