IRS Notice CP87A – Verify a Claimed Dependent


Another taxpayer has also filed a tax return listing the Social Security Number (SSN) of one or more of the dependents you listed on your tax return. You need to verify that this person qualifies as your dependent.

Type of Notice: Return accuracy

Likely next step: Address a return or account problem

Also see: Tax identity theft

Why you received IRS Notice CP87A

  1. You filed a tax return claiming a dependent or a qualifying child.
  2. Another taxpayer filed a return claiming a dependent or qualifying child with the same SSN as the dependent or qualifying child you claimed on your tax return.
  3. You need to verify that the person you listed as a dependent actually qualifies as a dependent.

Notice deadline: N/A

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

I Received an IRS Notice, Now What?

If you received an IRS notice in the mail, don't panic - some notices may actually be good news for you. Learn more about IRS notices with H&R Block.

What to Do If Someone Claimed Your Dependent

Learn what steps to take if someone else claimed your dependent. Get the facts about how to resolve a dependent dispute from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Private: How to Address Tax Identity Theft and Refund Fraud

Learn how to investigate tax identity theft, solve the problem with the IRS, and prevent tax identity theft and refund fraud going forward.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.