IRS Notice LT41 – We May Contact Others for Information


The IRS may contact third parties to obtain and/or verify information regarding your tax account.

Type of notice: Late return

Possible next step: File back tax returns

Also see: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Notice LT41

  1. You have an unfiled tax return.
  2. The IRS attempted to contact you regarding the unfiled return, but the return remains unfiled.
  3. The IRS sent LT41 to notify you that it may be necessary to contact third parties to obtain and/or verify information regarding your account. If the IRS makes these contacts, you will be sent a list of all contacts the IRS is required to report.

Notice deadline: None

If you miss the deadline: Although there is no deadline, if you do not file a tax return for the tax year shown on the notice, the IRS will file one on your behalf. The return will be filed as single or married filing separately with no exemptions other than yourself. The IRS will not any include credits or deductions to which you may be entitled.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

What to Do If I Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay

Can’t pay your taxes this year? You’re not alone. Learn why you should still file your return even if you can't pay from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

It’s Been A Few Years Since I Filed A Tax Return. Should I Start Filing Again?

If you haven't filed tax returns in awhile, there are things you need to know. Learn how to address back tax returns and what you can expect when you file.