Employment-Related Tax Identity Theft


IRS Definition

If you’ve experienced one of the following, this may be an indication your Social Security number or other personal information may have been used by another person without your permission for employment purposes.

  • You receive IRS notice CP01E, Employment Related Identity Theft, stating you may be the victim of employment-related identity theft;
  • You receive IRS notice CP2000, Request for Verification of Unreported Income, Payments, or Credits, listing wages you didn’t earn;
  • You receive IRS notice CP2057, Check Your Records to Confirm the Income You Received, regarding a potential income discrepancy and the questionable income is directly related to wages that were not earned by you;
  • You receive a Form W-2 or Form 1099 from an employer for whom you didn’t work;
  • You receive a notice from the Social Security Administration (SSA) stating that your Social Security benefits have been adjusted/denied because of wages you didn’t earn or;
  • You receive a Social Security Statement from SSA showing more income than you’ve earned.

More from H&R Block

Employment-related tax identity theft occurs when someone uses your Social Security Number (SSN) to get a job and then reports the income under your SSN. You’d normally find out about this type of fraud when the IRS:

  • Audits your return
  • Sends you a notice about unreported income (CP2000 notice)
  • Tries to collect a balance you don’t owe
  • Requests a tax return when you aren’t required to file

Learn how to address tax identity theft.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

Private: How to Address Tax Identity Theft and Refund Fraud

Learn how to investigate tax identity theft, solve the problem with the IRS, and prevent tax identity theft and refund fraud going forward.

What Happens After You Report Identity Theft to the IRS

Did someone file a fraudulent return in your name? Get the facts about reporting tax identity theft to the IRS and what you can expect after you report it.

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.

Six Reasons You Might Have Gotten a Notice Instead of Your Refund

Didn't get your expected tax refund? Learn about six possible reasons for this unexpected change from the tax experts at H&R Block.