Identity Theft


IRS Definition

Tax-related identity theft occurs when someone uses your stolen Social Security number to file a tax return claiming a fraudulent refund.

More from H&R Block

If your wallet or other personal information is stolen or you are a victim of a data breach, your personal information may be used to commit tax-related identity theft. Identity thieves can use your personal information to file a fraudulent tax return and steal your tax refund.

They can also use your Social Security Number (SSN) to get a job and report the income under your SSN. Employment-related tax identity theft may cause you to get a notice from the IRS stating that you didn’t report all of your income.

Contact the IRS as soon as you find out that your personal information is compromised. That way, the IRS can place an identity theft indicator on your account.

Learn how to address tax identity theft.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

Private: How to Address Tax Identity Theft and Refund Fraud

Learn how to investigate tax identity theft, solve the problem with the IRS, and prevent tax identity theft and refund fraud going forward.

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

What Happens After You Report Identity Theft to the IRS

Did someone file a fraudulent return in your name? Get the facts about reporting tax identity theft to the IRS and what you can expect after you report it.

Want to Know if You’re in Good Standing with the IRS? Here’s How.

For many people, their status with the IRS is a mystery. Learn four ways to request your tax information from the IRS to make sure you're in good standing.

Six Reasons You Might Have Gotten a Notice Instead of Your Refund

Didn't get your expected tax refund? Learn about six possible reasons for this unexpected change from the tax experts at H&R Block.