Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Are you having trouble with debt management? Your tax refund can help you control debt, save for emergencies and plan for your future. Learn how at H&R Block.
Not sure how to save money on wedding flowers? Learn how you can create unique, budget-friendly bouquets for your wedding with H&R Block.
Think you can't afford college? Learn how to afford college without your parents help with five useful strategies from H&R Block.
Not sure how to determine your net worth? Learn how to calculate net worth with instructions from NerdWallet blogger Amelia Granger and H&R Block.